Tuesday, May 31, 2011

in Modigliani's footsteps


Modigliani and ? outside la Ruche - the hive - an octagonal building of ateliers

Foujita's atelier and Kiki de Montparnasse's stomping ground


la Ruche - the hive

I'm snatching WIFI from the air somewhere below Montparnasse. It could evaporate any moment so I'm doing this very quickly and will ask Leighton to post if I go off into the ether again
.
This weekend several districts had open artist studios. Words fail me trying to describe the photographer's photos of Chernobyl 25 years after...but that's another story. Today Naftali, remember the Jewish Resistant who's father was imprisoned and murdered by the Germans? Today he took me on another memory trip and we were in the 'footsteps of Modigliani' along with Picasso, Soutine, Matisse all regulars in these ateliers at one time. Just imagine the warm soft wind on those leaves...

Cara - Tuesday

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely tour of artists' history.

    I'm in awe of your traveling around with a Jewish member of the Resistance movement, a hero, but even more so for his father's sacrifice.

    Please convey -- if it's appropriate -- the respect and admiration from the U.S. for his courageous actions and respect for his father's memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cara,

    I never thought the French re-corked a wine bottle. Another myth busted! :)

    --Jeff

    ReplyDelete